Wakehurst Place is a National Trust property located near Ardingly, West Sussex in the High Weald of southern England (grid reference TQ340315), comprising a late 16th century country house and a mainly 20th century garden, managed by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
For the National Trust’s 2008–2009 fiscal year Wakehurst Place Garden was the Trust’s most visited property for which admission was charged, with 439,627 visitors. The house rated an illustration in Joseph Nash, The mansions of England in the olden time, I839-49. The garden today covers some 2 square kilometres (500 acres) and includes walled and water gardens, woodland and wetland conservation areas.
It was largely created by Gerald Loder (later Lord Wakehurst) who purchased the estate in 1903 and spent 33 years developing the gardens. He was succeeded by Sir Henry Price, under whose care the Loder plantings matured, Sir Henry left Wakehurst Place to the nation in 1963 and the Royal Botanic Gardens took up a lease from the National Trust in 1965.
Taken: 5th May 2012
Location: Wakehurst Place
Camera: Canon EOS11o0D
F Stop: f/8
Focal Length: 21mm
Max Aperture: 3.625